TuneList - Make your site Live

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Truth Prevails. :)

               Hi! I have just finished creating my first short story. I entitled it "Truth Prevails", because the truth must always be told, even if it hurts. 

I hope you enjoy my work :) 


                Truth Prevails

                By Nicole Manano

                I was there when it happened. I know why he was wounded on his right shoulder. I know why he was furiously running after that girl. I know why that girl's smile is beyond reach. I know her story. I know why. 


                It was late afternoon that day when this happened. I was walking home from the store, where I bought a pack of sweets. On my way home, I passed by a street scattered with broken window glass and two delivery guys blaming each other about who broke it. 

               
               I carefully walked on the other side of the street. I picked one jelly bean and began humming when I saw a girl running with a fierce look on her face. She bumped onto me, and my sweets scattered on the road. She didn't stop to apologize, but continued running instead. Not for long, a guy followed suit, with anger that washed over his face. I know him. He was never good.

                The distance between him and the girl was not that far. They were like kids playing tag in the outskirts of town. I secretly followed them because I can't hold my curiosity. I heard the guy shout the girl's name, but the girl did not respond. I stood behind a car, and to my surprise, the girl held my arm and told me to be quiet. She was not afraid of that guy who was never good. I know the reason why. They were friends once, and the guy liked her but she denied him. I didn't understand her story.  But we transferred to another place, and hid behind a wall. She wasn't speaking at all, but she knew me. 


                We were back on the street with the shattered glass. The delivery guys were gone. 


                I heard footsteps stepping on candies nearby. My sweets. We just made a roundabout. I heard the guy coming. He was catching his breath, desperately looking for the girl again. She covered my mouth, and walked backward, inch by inch. I was walking back, when I accidentally stepped on the broken glass. She gave me her phone, and told me to call the police. I did what she said. But everything was fast. She picked the glass and made a run for the corner.Just in time, the guy appeared, and stabbed him with the glass deep in his skin. The guy howled in pain. The girl was so furious that the glass went through his right shoulder, and fell on his knees. I stood there in shock, and I dropped her phone. 


              Just in time, the police came and arrested the guy and didn't even questioned the girl and placed handcuffs on the delinquent. I looked around and saw that people have gathered to see what was happening. 


              Some were shocked and some were not. Some were scared and some were not. They know who this guy was.


              The guy fainted, but medics came to give him first aid, but he'll live, they say. But the police.. they must have known everything. The girl must have told them the complaints. 


              She began walking, leaving the blood-spattered broken glass on the gutter. She looked satisfied and contented that they guy was arrested. The smile on her face reminded me her story. 


              She told me once before,  "He was never good. This society doesn't approve his presence here either. I'm his only friend, but I think he'll lose me soon. I know now why they are against him. I was wrong for not believing in them in the first place." 


              He was new in town. I know they were friends before. People were telling her to stay away from that close-minded guy. She doesn't know why he's called that way.

              Some girls said he won't stop bugging their lives, and they are frustrated of that person. She never listened, she knows he was nice. But one day, she tried observing him, and found out the truth. She was one of those girls. Now she knows why he keeps on telling her that many people are after him; outraged boyfriends, furious friends and angry mothers. 

              After that, she spread the word about his identity, showing no signs of fear.


              I am the only one whom she entrusts me with her story, that is why I know every detail. 


             Today, his victim, is a girl with no lover. But she was able to save herself. While I was scanning the crowd, I saw those girls, and they are amazed by what she did. 


             She walked away, and my gaze followed her, and I saw her buy a pack of sweets again, with a big smile on her face. 


....



             I was there when it happened. I know why he was wounded on his right shoulder because I created that wound. I know why he was furiously running at me, because I told everyone about him, about his deepest secret, but I'm not afraid, because that is the truth. The truth needs to be told. The smile on my face won't fade away while I went home eating my jelly beans. 


I just know what I have to do.


I know and I need to stand up for what is right. 


The truth must always prevail. 

2 comments: